RELS 365 CP - Christian Moral Theology
*Not all courses are available next semester - check schedule for course availability
(3 sem. hrs.)
Moral theology reflects upon the goodness and evil of human acts, and of the person who performs them, in the light of Divine Revelation and human reason. This course offers an introduction both to mainstream Catholic and evangelical moral theology and contemporary moral issues, emphasizing their common ground and supplementary insights as well as explaining their continuing points of divergence. The course is taught by a Catholic professor, utilizing both Catholic and protestant texts. Specific moral issues to be discussed include abortion, homosexuality, "just war", contraception, divorce, euthanasia, poverty and hunger, and the nature and role of the family.
This course provides students with the theological background necessary to enable them to think with clarity about moral issues in the light of Divine Revelation. Given that the Catholic and Protestant traditions understand the fundamental theological sources differently, the course will emphasize their common commitment to divinely revealed, scriptural moral testimony, while explaining their divergent perspectives with regard to the role of tradition. The course outlines the central importance of orthodox Christian anthropology in moral reflection and introduces students to some of the most important moral issues today, and presents both Catholic and Evangelical perspectives on these issues.
• Prerequisite(s): RELS 160 or instructor's consent.
• The course meets the requirements for Christianity and Culture: Catholic Studies Minor.
• In order to use this CPC course for any TWU Religious Studies Department degree requiring Christianity & Culture (6-9) courses, please seek permission from the Religious Studies Chair.
• All CPC courses may be counted as electives for any TWU Degree.
• CPC courses may count towards CPC certificates as listed in the Course Requirements for each Certificate.
Image: Sermon on the Mount, By Carl Bloch - http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ycv0BE0wFr4/TU8WRXJmxYI/AAAAAAAAAgI/2QjVrd4bEHo/s1600/Sermon_on_the_Mount_Carl_Bloch.jpg and Carl Bloch, p. 313, ISBN 9788798746591, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=186837
Video: Bishop Barron on Christianity and Ethics, wordonfire.org